The Renewable Resins program managed by Acaté Amazon Conservation, involves the sustainable harvest and marketing of copaiba, the golden resin of a slow growing, upper canopy rainforest tree which has been used by the indigenous people of the Amazon for centuries. The golden amber-colored resin is prized for its medicinal properties from being a potent anti-inflammatory to having anti-fungal properties, as well as its use in cosmetics. Copaiba is unable to be easily sourced in most settled areas of Amazonia, because, just like the hard wood mahogany, the trees are quickly cut down and sold off for pennies of their final market value.
Thankfully, copaiba trees still stand tall across in several areas of the rainforests protected by the Matsés. Since the program’s inception in 2014, Acaté expanded the program to a total of three villages! The work had been hard with many pitfalls, but the perseverance, strength and determination of the Matsés people have made it a viable reality. Through the careful and considerate harvesting of the resin, the Matsés can realise a sustainable income stream that lessens their dependency on external aid or the lure of the petroleum or gold industries. It provides alternatives to bush-meat hunting and timber extraction and brings real revenue to their communities.
This pure resin is sustainably extracted directly from the tree, cold filtered through cheese cloth and bottled. 100% natural, undiluted , with no additional oils or fragrance added unlike other Copiaba ‘oils’ on the market. This is not the distilled oil commonly offered, it is the pure unadulterated resin from the heart of the tree and it is in this resin where most of properties are stored, they include:
- Anti-inflammatory - widely regarded as one of the best anti-inflammatory substances.
- Promotes healing of injuries by faster formation of scar or scab.
- Disinfectant – assists in cleaning out wounds, scrapes etc to prevent infection.
- Reduces pain anywhere on the body.
- Treatment for sore throats.
- Treatment for skin conditions such as acne, cold sores, dermatitis, herpes and psoriasis.
- Treatment for fungal / bacterial infections.
- Treatment for varicose veins.
The resin can be applied directly on the skin or can be consumed internally by adding drops to food or juices.